Pages

Saturday, 4 April 2009

C L B Ladram camp Devon 1949



I came across these photos and wondered if anyone might recognise themselves or someone they know. They are of the Church Lads Brigade that was run at St Christopher's Church and they were a regular feature marching and playing around the estate on Sunday mornings. I wasn't in it myself, it had closed down by the time I was old enough thanks to the change of management at the church (least said the better) but my older brother David was and he is in the photo taken outside of St Christopher's and I recognise Brian Murphy who lived next door to us in Westcott Crescent. The other three photos were taken by Dave at Ladram Camp in 1949 and I believe Brian Murphy and Terry Bennett, another resident of Westcott Crescent, are in those.

I'd just like to say thanks for setting up the sight, I'm sure it takes a great deal of time and effort to do but it's a great idea and very much appreciated.

Best wishes

Roy Baker









9 comments:

Tommy said...

Second photo with cricket bat.John Corsham second from right.I went to this camp just outside Sidmouth and remember finding a fag end in the rabbit pie,I was so hungry I ate it anyway,just shows you some things never hurt us.Today there would be such a hue and cry they would close the camp and call in the health dept.

Val B. said...

Yes definitely camp in Devon. We used to stay at Littleham I think it was and the beach was called Sandy Bay. The officer in the photo is Jack Annis and next to him on his right I think it is Spud Murphy.In the first photo on the far right is my brother Bill Bailey.

John Corsham said...

Hi Tom,
you are right that is me second from the right I have never seen that photo before.I think the other boys are from the left Jimmy Keily,Terry Bennet, Sid Hooper,Charlie Brown,Cyril Stamford,Ronnie Baker,me,and I can`t place the boy on the far right, anybody please correct me if I am wrong,(it was only 60 years ago)!!!

Anonymous said...

Val, your brother on the far right looks a lot like Frannie Pocknee.

Anonymous said...

Val, your brother on the far right looks a lot like Frannie Pocknee.

Anonymous said...

Ηello ѵery niсe blog!! Guy .
. Beautiful .. Suρerb .. I ωill bookmark your
web sіtе and take the feedѕ also?
I am satisfied tο find a lot of useful informatіon heгe within the publіsh,
wе'd like work out extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

my homepage :: south pacific lonely planet
My webpage ... actresses who smoke

Anonymous said...

Asking questions are actually fastidious thing if you are not understanding anything fully,
except this paragraph offers nice understanding yet.


Here is my web-site ... http://www.fultoofun.in
my page: tkr

Anonymous said...

Fantastic website you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
I'd really love to be a part of group where I can get opinions from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Bless you!

Here is my blog post: margin call o meter

Anonymous said...

You can certainly see your enthusiasm in the article
you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you
who are not afraid to say how they believe. All the time follow your heart.


My web-site; get followers