Pages

Thursday, 7 May 2009

The street where I lived

Carried over from April.
 
John Eggins said...

Hi Del,

Your sister Doreen has been in contact with my sister.
Glad you remembered the lad at Lamertons. When I tell people about him they laugh at me an say, I didn't know you was that old and was around with the stage coaches.
I was one of the last people to leave the seniors at 14.I left on my birthday, 28/3/1947.Les Cheeseman and I went to the same firm on that day to see personel Manager and we did not go back to school to say our goodbyes.

John ( eggo ) Eggins.

Phil Sim said...

I class as a cuckooite my name is Phil Sim i was born at 93 Beresford Ave on 9/10/41
i went to all the cuckoo schools infants ,juniors and seniors.
I remember all the Finucanes,Bransfields,and many more.
I must have been at the seniors in1952,was inthe same class as George Perry
Roy Adams Derek Wilkinson,Graham Boulter,Tony Cressy.etc
We had Praggy as our maths teacher come football boss,there was,Pickering the PE teacher
Lock music.Bartholomew was art.Great days,great fun.I remember the lunchtimes also
going up the chippie,getting half a loaf filling it with chips,if i remember Mr Oliver gave us a
rocket though walking along the road back to school eating our version of a chip buttie.
I played in the school football team we were preety good as i remember that always got
Praggy excited.Mon mornings we would get one of the boys to ask Praggy what the game was like
on the Saturday,he would start his report and we then new maths would go by the board that morning
because he would go on through the lesson.
This looks a great site i bumped into by mistake and hope towrite again soon

yvonneH said...

Hi Phil, welcome to the site,dont run off again as it is nice to read of the new memories I was born in 1940 so we are not that far apart my brothers name was Brian Holt although after a play at school he got nicknamed Ben Gunn
hope to hear more from you soon.

Eddie said...

Hi Phil, dear Old Reg never told us anything about footy, if only we had known he had such a great interest, there would have been no maths lessons, we had to ask him about the bloomin' war, boring boring!

How long was he at the school?

Eddie said...

We, the Maguire family, lived at 263 Greenford Avenue but there were no kids living in or around our area, mainly lots of retired old folk, really nice people though.

I was at Brentside from 1969 to 72 before leaving to join the Underground. But at school I can remember from memories, Derek Sweeney from 131 Greatdown Road, Steve Williams from 62 Wescott Crescent, Steve Golds from 77 Mayfield Gdns, Bob Simpson from 70 Bridge Ave, Naresh Shah - a really good friend who moved onto Julien Rd in Ealing....I think. Would be great to make contact again.

Tommy said...

Hi Eddie,he was there when I left in 1952.I played football for Cuckoo seniors also Ealing borough school team when I was 14 .Praggy was the team manager or coach at the time and him and Pickering did not get along as Pickering was the school coach.Allways remember Praggy would have his hair plastered with Brylcream and he would have danddruff all over his jacket but must say he was a good teacher and the boys liked him a lot.I was head boy or head prefect for Mr Oliver for my time in 4th year,(Sorry Jim) I left at Christmas time just befor my 15 birthday.Have great memories of my years at that school and all the friends I had.Great hearing from you are you in Australia.

phil said...

Hi Eddie i've no idea how long he was there,but we soon sussed him out mondays was easy lesson day with him, did you know his full name was reginald alan pragg initials R.A.P i wonder who carved the C in front of the other initials on his leather brief case,er by the way it wasn't me

phil said...

Tommy great dicription of praggy hair smoothed back and covered in dandruf,by the way dose anyone remember a Mr Fry he was a teacher in the juniors.i went to france to my uncles when i was 10 and brought back a swollow tail butterfly not seen in this country very rare,i took it to class and Fry stood me out in front of the class to tell the class what i'd got.He stood behind me(i'm sure you know whats coming)with BOTH hands on my shoulder.I think it was then i new i liked girls

tags said...

I remember Fry the music teacher...he was always scratching his own butt in assembly.

phil said...

Quite right tags,its a wonder he wasn't scratching someone elses,do you remember Mr Griggs and his pipe he was a great teacher,and he used to keep the TWIG as he called it above the blackboard,he used to ask if we would like if we kept talking,you could hear a bloody pin drop,pity there arn't more of his kind now,instead of these tosspots who make the rules that you cannot cane kids of today it never hurt me(IT DID AT THE TIME)but i didn't want it again and it taught me RESPECT a word that is no longer in our vocabulary

7 comments:

yvonneh said...

Hi phil,
was the word respect or fear, I had no respect for teachers that were bent on bullying and hitting with canes, for their own perverse pleasure. I had respect for those who explained why I shouldn't do something or say something. I cant understand why someone would want to be a teacher and work with children if their sole aim was to make them frightened of them.

jim davis said...

Yvonne. How do you explain the rampant thuggery, lack of respect for others, and for authority, shown by a sizable minority of people that have been raised having no fear of punishment. No matter how many times they offend, do gooder's seem to blame society as an excuse for the toe rags. Like it or not we have to have rules, laws etc. Once a person young or not, has been given a chance, or maybe two. If they are aware of the consequences and still persist in offending. My vote would be to cary out the designated punishment, and make them fearfull ot what will happen to them in future unless they change their ways.

yvonneh said...

Hi Jim there is lots of ways of punishing particularly children. without resorting to violence from what are relatively strangers.eg- Teachers. I believe that discipline starts at home. you dont have kids and not teach them respect, My parents were the only ones who I would accept raising a hand to me they gave me my values and morals and respect for others, Teachers were there to teach you to read, write, and to instill a bit of knowledge into you. I used to hate going to St Annes not only were there a lot of teachers who were bullies and had their favourites but there were a lot of girls who thought because the teachers bullied, they could get away with it too. I played truant quite a bit especially when we had maths with miss woods and art with mrs hudson.
I dont pretend to know all the answers Jim. But I do know that violence begets violence, and if you CHOOSE to have kids then take responsibility for them,

Tommy said...

What does this have to do with the street where we lived?.I am at a loss,better in chat room I would think,just me sounding of.

yvonneh said...

Tom
the letters follow on from the comments on teachers on your roll over comments. Perhaps we should have a title above every comment. That would then solve the problem.
One can only answer comments as they appear. Unless as I have said before that we answer in several catagories, or perhaps not at all.

jim davis said...

Tom If you look a bit further back on the same page. You will see that you participated in and was as culpable as the rest of us re' the comments on this page. You were talking about football and school teachers, nothing to do with The street where I lived.

Tommy said...

I stand corrected