Pages

Tuesday, 1 September 2009

Topic for the Month.


 
A topic for the 'thinking Cuckooites.' An American friend said that he was going to ask me a question, but I couldn't think about an answer, just to come up with one off the top of my head. The question was, " If you could be anything other than what you are right now, what would you be?" Straight away I replied,"A marine biologist." He wanted to know why I'd said that, and I didn't know. "Well," he said, "there must be a good reason, all you have to do is figure it out."
   A couple of weeks, and a lot of soul searching later, I recognised a book cover in a library, and had my answer. Years before, I'd read John Steibeck's novel, 'Cannery Row,' the story of a guy called 'Doc,' who is a marine biologist, but has dropped out of the rat race, after serving as a GI during the war, and now lives on a beach in Calfornia. He makes a living by paddling around in rock pools to collect specimens which he sends off to universities and laboratories, earning enough in one week to keep him boozed up for the rest of the month. That idea had obviously appealed to me and had been nesting in my sub-conscience all that time.
   So, what would yours be? Remember, don't spend time pondering the question, you never know what might be lurking in the old memory bank.



14 comments:

JohnB said...

Filthy rich??

yvonneh said...

50 years younger and a miracle worker.

jim davis said...

If I was anyone else then I woild not be me, with the family and friends I have now. I am happy with who/what I am. After all how could I improve on perfection?

Grace said...

I would have liked to be five inches taller and have curly hair.
There is no such thing Jim as the perfect man if there is i have yet to find him.

Del said...

Grace, you can meet me at the reunion. With a Jewish grandmother, you are always called bubelah,(darling). When mine picked me, up at the end of my first day at Cuckoo infants, she asked, "Bubelah, did you enjoy school?" "Yes," I answered. "So, bubelah, did you learn anything?" "Yes," I replied. "That's good, bubelah, what did you learn?" she asked. "That my name is Derek," I said.

Tommy said...

I wiuld settle for hair

Paul Holt said...

Hair is over-rated, I'm not bald, I'm just taller than my hair.

Beryl Bradford ( Bolton ) said...

I would like to be a 30 years younger, but know what I know now.
That would be great to have all that knowledge and experience then.

jim davis said...

The trouble with that Beryl is all your loved ones and friends would be the age they are now. Would you want that?

Beryl Bradford ( Bolton ) said...

No Jim but I might have been able to stop my sister standing on the street corner of Finkly street if I had known she was going to do it.

jim davis said...

Ah! a very valid point that I overlooked Beryl. I think you should be on the Angel page, what with you being younger, it must have been hard work getting Grace off that corner and on to the straight and narrow. She still drifts back there from time to time I do believe, naughty! naughty! girl.

Grace said...

Beryl when you come to me Sun you may not last 3days let alone 3 weeks ,that Jim Davis does not need any encouragement from you, any way you told me that was a good corner to stand on . Loking forward to meeting Bobby Stevens as he can tell me a few stories about when you were younger.You must remember you came to me for advice and i put you on the sraight and narrow,hope i have,nt made any spelling mistakes if i have that will give Jim more amunition to have ago.

Grace said...

Jim hope you spotted the deliberate mistake no sarcastic remarks thankyou

jim davis said...

Now let us get this STRAIGHT Grace, I would not be LOOKING for mistakes. You, Yvonne, Valb and a couple of others give me all the AMMUNITION I require. Don't try to Kid a Kidder Grace, there was nothing deliberate about your mistakes. Oh yes and your earlier comment about wanting curly hair. I would hazard a guess you already have that, but perhaps not in the right place.