Pages

Tuesday, 7 August 2012

50ty anniversary.

Time marches on. Jamaican Independence party at the Jamaican Blue Mountains Club, Notting Hill. We had all been at the official party, at the Savoy Hotel the night before, at this one I was elected as an Honorary Jamaican by the Local Residents Association. Seated next to the guy in the light suit, and looking across at me, is Ben Dunkley, my great mate from art school, who propped me up on a couple of occasions when I felt like dropping out. In the event, we both finished up in advertising. He was a brilliant graphics artist and did most of the sign work for London Transport. Sadly, he died at the age of 52. The chap sitting next to me, with specs, is Vivien Durumn, Jamaican Minister of Agriculture, who supplied the necessary herbage for the evening. A memorable night.

5 comments:

Freddie Reese said...

"HOW YO GET TO BECOME A HONOURY JAMAICAN MAAN"??

Anonymous said...

Who is the photo of, it doesn't say, I'm sure it wasn't the editor, or was it?

Del said...

It was Del, the guy with the pale complexion.

Del said...

Freddie, a Windy was being beaten up by a gang outside my flat, during the Notting Hill riots, 1958, and I went out to lend him a hand. We both ended up in the A@E for some embroidery on our faces. I'd already evacuated my then, heavily pregnant wife, back to her parents in Borders Road and she had our youngest son the same night. You can imagine the look on her face when I arrived at the maternity unit sporting a black eye, several patches of plaster and stitches.

When the riots ended I was sort of adopted by the Windy's and life was a round of party's etc for the next four years. I still wonder how my liver survived all the 'Dip and Fall-back.' But happy days.

Freddie Reese said...

Another great chapter in the colourful life an artist heh Del.

I can just imagine the look on your wifes face mate. As you say mate happy days.